Embarrassing but True

The first time I wrote a book (most of one anyway), someone in my review group wrote, "...these problems are easy to fix in the second draft". I stared at those words, stunned. Second draft? But it's perfect now, I thought. Ah, silly naive writer...


As others of my group hacked it to shreds, it became increasingly clear that a revision was necessary. Grumbling about having to do the thing over again, I started the revision.


Well, that was four drafts ago and I'm still revising. Ha! I've learned a lot, and the pinprick of light at the end of the tunnel has become bigger. I just hope it's not a train...


This is a plug for a contest for a free edit of your ms on another site:
http://www.camarshall.com/2010/09/freelance-editor-ca-marshalls-free-edit.html
Go on and enter. What do you have to lose?


-- Melora

2 comments:

Thanks for the blog post Melora! Best of luck!

 

Editing is evil. I have two novels that are in their...third draft each. Neither of them resembles the original at all. At least the way they start.

At least I had review groups to help me make it better :-D

 

Post a Comment